A dental procedure known as tooth extraction involves removing a tooth from its dental alveolus or socket. An oral surgeon is typically the one who extracts teeth. However, as part of their core competencies as dental practitioners, general dentists and periodontists also do tooth extraction treatments. Our Edmonton dentists are highly professional, well-trained, and experienced when it comes to dental extractions.
What are the 5 reasons tooth extraction is necessary?
- Severe decay that has permanently damaged the teeth – When tooth decay spreads to the pulp located in the centre of the tooth, this occurs. By invading the pulp, the bacteria created by the decay might spread an illness. If so, root canal surgery could be used to treat the infection. Extraction may be done if the illness is severe to stop the infection from spreading.
- A practical cure for periodontal disease – An infection of the gums, periodontal ligaments, alveolar bone, and other structures surrounding the teeth is called periodontal disease. Gingivitis, an infection of the gums, is the first sign of periodontal disease. The alveolar bone and the periodontal ligaments are both impacted by the more severe form of periodontal disease. Dental plaque, a sticky substance that forms on your teeth several hours after eating and without cleaning, is the source of the bacteria that cause periodontal disease. Periodontal disease can be avoided by brushing teeth frequently and seeing the dentist.
- An impacted tooth may benefit from extraction – When a tooth is prevented from coming out by tissue, or when the gums have not fully erupted, the tooth is said to be impacted. This frequently occurs with wisdom teeth. Your Edmonton dentist may advise extraction to stop the impacted tooth from harming nearby teeth. Infection and crowding risks may be reduced by extracting an impacted tooth.
- To get rid of crowding – To relieve the mouth’s overcrowding, it could be required to extract one or more teeth. This is also advised when the patient needs to receive orthodontic treatment, and there isn’t enough room for the teeth to move and realign. Your dentist in Edmonton will determine how crowded your teeth are and whether there is adequate space for them to move and realign themselves. When there is not enough room to correct your teeth, tooth extractions are advised.
- Necessary after an accident – The first choice is always to keep the patient’s teeth when an accident, like a car collision, occurs and the patient needs dental treatment. Getting veneers, crowns, bridges, or dental bonding might be advised. However, tooth extraction can be necessary if the dental problem is severe.
The dental crowns our doctors offer are of the highest calibre and will prevent the entire tooth from fracturing again. We ensure the crown blends in with the colour of your natural teeth so you can flash your gorgeous smile without being self-conscious about how your teeth look. These are why your dentist at Design Dentistry could advise tooth extraction. But maintaining your teeth for as long as possible is always the goal. Call us at 780-484-8138 to book an appointment.